Chasing M2 Grabber Claw Rusted Screws after One Dive

Eternal Angler

Administrator
Oxidation and corrosion turning to rust after one dive!
chasing-m2-grabber-claw-rusted-screws.jpg

Before what the screws looked like
chasing-m2-grabber-claw-screws.jpg

This was reported by a Chasing M2 owner on the Official Chasing Owners Facebook Group. The owner claims the screws on his grabber claw had rusted after one dive. I'd say this is pretty unacceptable considering this was just after one dive, I'm sure he was probably diving in saltwater environment, it's always recommended to do a thorough wash down in your bathtub after every dive for 20 minutes, but maybe he still did that.

Question is, what's the solution? I know an Gladius Mini owner used white vinegar and thin paint brush to scrub down the tether connector which was corroding, but I'd say he shouldn't have to do that after every dive, lol. And it doesn't seem like the screws that are used on the main body of the Chasing M2 aren't rusting like this either. I sure hope Chasing Innovation sorts this out, one Facebook user suggested "the manufacturer should change them for free!!!" I have to agree on that!

Someone mentioned replacing them with all new stainless steel screws, however some said that would cause "galvanic corrosion on the aluminum body of the gripper instead..." Then another person claimed "On Sea-Doo watercraft we use stainless screws in aluminum all the time. you just have to use anti-seize to keep them from corroding and getting stuck in the aluminum. If you're worried about galvanic corrosion put a zinc on it. No way you should be using something with a steel fastener in salt water though that's a bad idea. After a short period of time you'll never be able to get that out again."

And another comment "If you put an aluminum screw in aluminum you're probably never going to get it out again either if you're in salt water. Stainless really is the best choice I think from my experience dealing with PWC rentals in Florida salt."

I'm curious to what Chasing Innovation would do for this solution, anyways, if you have a recommendation what you did, please share down below or on the Facebook page.

chasing-m2-grabber-claw.jpg