What Happened to Dustin Dunnill Underwater Drone Reviews?

Eternal Angler

Administrator
Haven't been paying much attention to Dustin Dunnill's channel lately, but then it hit me, I haven't really seen any new underwater drone review videos of his pop up in my feed, wonder whatsup with that?

I do know that if an underwater drone company like Chasing ever gave me a free Dory, I'd definitely be uploading a bunch of underwater videos of that drone to show appreciation towards the company... lol

YouTubers definitely get a lot of flack, so I'm not going to be too critical, I've dealt with it myself over the years. I think his videos are great and very informative, but they don't show the longevity of each underwater drone. And I sometimes think showing a longer traditional underwater video of using a drone, shows more than an actual review of just jibber jabbering about each feature and maneuver capability. I mean Dustin still does a great job for the time he's given to work with, espcially since many of these were the first generations of the platform such as the Fifish V6, Gladius Mini, Geneinno T1, PowerRay, and Navatics Mito... He showed us what these underwater drones could actually do and explained it pretty thoroughly... Considering we're in a new stage of evolution of these underwater drones, maybe it's more important to test them out in the actual environment than some swimming pool.

Just a hunch, maybe some of the underwater drone companies thought some of his reviews were actually detriment to some of their sales. The Mito not being able to focus couldn't have been good for Navatics... And the first test of the Fifish V6 jerking around in the current of the ocean couldn't have been good either for QYSEA. I will say this, his claw video of the Geneinno T1 definitely sold me on buying it. Maybe it might have been smarter for someone to test these underwater drones out in a freshwater body of water that has less current :D than the ocean and a swimming pool.

Again, it really might just be better for these companies to give a drone to a YouTuber and just show traditional underwater footage, rather than giving commentary and a bottom line review at the end, since a lot of times these are short little tests. I mean sometimes it's all about subscribers and views, that's it, I think Aquachigger did a fabulous video of just showing footage rather than talking, to me his review video really didn't show much or explain the features of the Mini. I mean I remember at one point in the video the guy saying he isn't tech savy enough to give a thorough review of all the features. Seeing what I'm getting at here... Bottom line, it's all about the footage, if ya want to give short synopsis at the end, prolly be fine. I think too many YouTubers are trying to do with Dustin Dunnil was doing. Jake from DALLMYD was given the Geneinno Titan to test out, how much actual footage from the T1 did he actually post in this 11 minute video, there's more footage from his gopro head cam and him talking above surface, than the underwater drone itself. I guess they still help get the word out about these underwater drones, but how many people did they turn into serious underwater drone hobbysists? Probably not a whole lot, just guessing of course. I still think Dustin probably made the biggest impact!

I noticed when I did an unboxing of the Geneinno T1, I got a lot of bitching about showing the actual underwater footage. A lot of them didn't understand the fact that this was an unboxing, it was in the middle of winter when I bought it, and that the water was way to murky. Despite freezing my ass off I still decided to do a test since this was the first time I bought an underwater drone and I wanted see what it felt like to control an underwater drone. lol, I'm still getting complaints and thumbs downs on my video to this day, :ROFLMAO: if the geniuses would of just did a little searching on my channel, they would of seen actual footage of both bass and bluegill.

The top reviewer of the Chasing M2 in recent time has to be YouTuber The Fish Finders... I thought this guy did a pretty good job reviewing the M2 in such a short video that he did! I mean he didn't really show enough footage of the M2 in actual environment, other than the pool, which doesn't have much current or obstacles, but still a great review despite that. I really wish we'd get pass this pool crap, again since we're getting into a new evolutionary stage with these underwater drones. Just because the M2 looks super smooth in the pool, doesn't meant that's how it's going to look in the ocean or a lake.

Anyways, I'm surprising Chasing Innovation hasn't given a M2 to test out to Dustin Dunnill? Hmmm... Well we'll see where the future takes us, he's got a great channel and I suspect he hasn't quit on the underwater drone hobby just yet since we're still in it's infant stage. Hopefully we'll see Dustin testing out torpedoes on the Fifish W6 in the sometime future, j/k on the torpedo part!

His last underwater drone video was with the Geneinno T1 using the claw out in the ocean... Man we're so past that point now, when we going to see the T1 Pro? All the new attachments such as the laser scaler, omni scan sonar, water and quality detector... Can't believe Geneinno hasn't let him test out the Pro version yet with any of these new goodies yet. I could be wrong, but it's highly doubtful anyone's going to buy a Omni Scan Sonar for five figures without at least seeing a video of it... lol Just a hunch! Funny when you're seeing attachments costing 5x the price of the actual "consumer" drone, but I guess that's just how it goes considering some of this technology isn't economically affordable yet at a smaller scale. We need a Shrink Ray, I'll get Professor Wayne Szalinski to get right on it!

YoucanPhil

Because he's an idiot. We had a run in with him years ago about the misinformation he was saying. He actually blocked me on Facebook when I called him out on his incompetence.