Prevent Leaking Claw on Fifish V6s & Chasing M2 Underwater Drones

Eternal Angler

Administrator
chasing-m2-leaking-claw-short-circuit.jpg

So after seeing a couple claws leak and cause short circuits on both the Chasing M2 and Fifish V6s underwater drones, I did some thinking, what if there's some type of extra protection we can add to the outer part of the main shaft of these grabber arms to prevent them from leaking, which in return would prevent any short circuiting from happening so often, basically extending the life of these claws? I mean with time, through typical wear and tear, I think most of these claws will eventually leak. With the claw bumping into things from time to time, picking up heavy or stuck items from the bottom of the ocean, my assumption is that shaft is going to flex, causing these o-rings to lose their sealing ability. I'm just constantly thinking ahead, considering underwater drones in general have a lot of maintenance to them. I mean, the majority of owners are using silicone spray to extend the life of the motors on these underwater drones, what if we all could do something to extend the life of these claws?

Maybe just wrapping on some simple waterproof tape, like Flex Tape, would that work? Well after reading some of the reviews, problem with a lot of these waterproof tapes is, they tend to be permanent and if you do try to unwrap them, they leave behind a lot of residue.

What about Plasti Dip, you know the liquid rubber that they spray on car rims, gives your automobile a more sporty aggressive look. Also adds a non-slip grip to hammers and pliers. While Plasti Dip isn't really marketed towards waterproofing like Flex Seal, I've seen a lot of RC car and RC boat hobbyists use this to waterproof some of their electronics like the RC receiver. And again, despite not much labeling on the can about waterproofing, more about "seals and protects from weathering," there is a section on their uk website that says it has waterproofing abilities for remote controlled cars and boats.

And here's the thing, if it starts to crack and flake off a little bit, just peel it off and apply another new coat. What's nice about Plasti Dip is, that it doesn't leave behind any sticky residue, I've heard that this is the problem with Flex Seal, it leaves behind a nasty residue. That's why more automobile owners like it for coating their rims, it peels right off.

Plasti Dip also may prevent the top of your screws on the claw from rusting out as well, which I've seen reported numerous time on the Offical Chasing Facebook Group. I haven't tried this yet, so be careful!

atlewee

You could also fill the whole thing up with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly. That is also nice to use in the electrical connections as it prevents oxidation/rust. This will leave a lot of sticky residue if you ever want to remove it :)

Eternal Angler

Administrator
You could also fill the whole thing up with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly. That is also nice to use in the electrical connections as it prevents oxidation/rust. This will leave a lot of sticky residue if you ever want to remove it :)

Awesome tip, thanks!

Heard a few Chasing M2 owners complaining of their motors locking up after using them, just like fishing reels that are used in saltwater, they need rinsing every day and re-oiling/re-greasing every week or so, underwater drones are no different. I personally think you have to do everything you can to extend the life of these little gadgets!