Newbie here! Thanks for letting me join!

BearFLSTS

I found this forum while trying to figure how I’m going to repair my relatively new Gladius Mini with three seized thruster motors. Unfortunately, I’ve learned the hard way that salt water play means a lot more maintenance than just the one hour fresh water soak, run and rinse that the manual recommends. Hopefully I will be able to bring some South Florida underwater views to share!

Eternal Angler

Administrator
Yep, us fishermen have a lot of responsibility with our spinning reels as well, when I was fishing the surf down in Marco Island and Naples, I was both rinsing my spinning reel underneath the sink and also dipping it in the tub for 5 minutes. Then after 2 weeks or so, oiling it back up.

I think you have to do the same with the Underwater Drones. I put my Chasing M2 in a bath tub even after using it at freshwater lakes in Michigan to get all the weeds, sand, and gravel out of the motors. I'll move it around using my controller, blasting the thrusters, trying to get all that stuff out of there for a good 10-20 minutes. Saltwater you'd probably have to do 20 minutes.

Every so often I'll use Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray on the motors to prevent them from locking up, keep the motors running smoothly. Have to be careful which silicone spray you buy, I know many other Gladius Mini owners use the Q8 silicone spray. The Liquid Wrench Brand I use does say it's safe for rubber and plastic. Some drone hobbyists have said first try it out on another piece of plastic first just to make sure if you use a different brand.

silicone-spray-safe-for-underwater-drone.jpg

Also if your motors are locked up, some Gladius Mini owners have used WD40 and a wrench to unlock them, WD40 is not something you should use all the time though like the silicone spray, underwater drone hobbyists just did this specifically to unlock the motors that is it.

Last edited: