Motor seized

paule

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have a question.
After 2 uses (salt water) my two rear thruster motors have seized. Although I thoroughly rinsed in fresh water it obviously wasn't enough.
I have been able to free one of them up by soaking in an ultrasonic cleaner with vinegar.
Once apart I lightly sanded the core and outer shell with 400 grit and it now spins nicely when I put the two pieces together.
My question is this. Do these motors have some kind of corrosion protection coating on the magnets?
If so, the coating on mine is now gone. Any ideas as to what I could use to replace it...vaseline, epoxy, paint?
Also does anyone know where replacement parts can be purchased?
Thanks,
PaulE
Nova Scotia

SALISH SLEUTH

What kind of unit are you talking about? If you use anything in salt water , try using NO More Salt, or Saltaway, on the unit when rinsing it off. salt water and air corrode everything, Just suggesting that you do not just let your unit sit for days after using it on the salt. run it dry , everyday after salt use and the motors may not freeze up. Just saying , from my experience with equipment on the salt. Hope this helps you.

Eternal Angler

Administrator
Last time I talk to Stans Legacy, he said he's had around 200 dives with the Gladius Mini without replacing a motor and uses his Mini out in the ocean(salwater) He uses that Q8 silicone spray every so often after a few dives. It's also a must to rinse and clean your drone off with a tub full of freshwater in your bathroom after every dive, especially if you're diving in saltwater, I still do this in freshwater because I get grime, dirt, and seaweed in the thrusters. After I spin the thrusters for a few minutes in the bathtub, you see a lot of stuff come out of the thruster motors.

I bought the Liquid Wrench silicone spray and used it on my Geneinno T1, seem to work really well. But you have to be careful with some of these silicone sprays, some have extra additives that can eat away at the plastic I heard. Always good to test your silicone spray on a similar piece of plastic, before you use it on your actual underwater drone. Seems most underwater drone companies like Gladius say that adding in silicone can avoid your warranty... I think what some of these underwater drone companies need to do is, come out with their own spray to extend of the life of these motors so it also doesn't avoid the warranty. Especially since a lot of these underwater drones are being marketed for saltwater purposes, ridiculous to think they don't need lubrication maintenance, just running it in the bathtub with freshwater afterwards won't be enough after 20 or so uses in the ocean...

My question is this. Do these motors have some kind of corrosion protection coating on the magnets?

Grease that's naturally on the motors usually offer some protection, but only for so long.

These silicone sprays a lot of Gladius Mini owners use will prevent corrosion and the motors from locking up, be sure to join the Gladius group on Facebook as well, forum is still fairly new and we're getting in members slowly but surely.

Also does anyone know where replacement parts can be purchased?

Far as I know, you have to purchase directly from Chasing Innovation.

Last edited:

Eternal Angler

Administrator
@paule I was navigating through the Gladius Facebook Group, one Mini owner was able to use some WD-40 and then turned them with a wrench. Now I know most don't recommend WD-40 for maintenance lubrication, but for this purpose I guess it works when the underwater drone motors are seized up.

wd-40-locked-motors-gladius-mini-underwater-drone.jpg

Last edited: