Do I Need a License for an Underwater ROV Drone?

Eternal Angler

Administrator
Well folks, I know it's probably going to happen eventually, just like what's happened with the aerial drones. I expect after buying your underwater drone, you'll first have to register your ROV with the government, then you'll need to either choose a recreational or commercial license, and then there will be rules to follow. I mean we're in very unknown territory as we speak, considering there's 10+ economical underwater drones on the market currently and it's just a matter of time where some bozo misuses this technology for the wrong purpose.

Here's an article what they call UUVs (Unmanned Underwater Vehicles), currently do not have their own regulation. I think this particular article on the other hand was more in-depth talking about the discussion of weaponization of UUVs, ROVs, or underwater drones, whatever you want to call them.

Japan already plans to draw up new guidelines for underwater drones by the fiscal 2020 year. These rules will be used to prevent accidents as the use of such vehicles by the private sector is expected to increase.

Here's a interesting article about rules needed for autonomous underwater drones. Be sure to share new articles in this thread as they pop up, might eventually have to sticky this thread to make new ROV operators be aware of new rules and licensing.